175th Anniversary Activities and Event Highlights
In 2017, Roanoke marks 175 years of excellence in liberal arts education. The College has planned activities and events to celebrate these milestones and will continue to create other ways to make this a memorable time in the College's distinguished history.
- August 28 175th Anniversary Performance
Quantico Marine Corps Band performs as a kick off for the new academic year. Open to the public.
- August 29
Opening Convocation 2017
- September 19 Crumley Lecture
"Scholarship as a Christian Calling" featuring Dr. Mickey Mattox from Marquette University whose primary expertise is in the theology of Martin Luther.
- September 22-23 Family Weekend
175th Anniversary focus with Showcase of Student Research & Creativity and Former SGA Presidents Reunion
- October 12 Lecture
Bonehoeffer and Luther, featuring Dr. Michael DeJonge, associate professor of religious studies at the University of South Florida.
- October 16-20 Event: Roanoke College Choir Virginia Reformation Tour
- October 27-Dec 3 Art Exhibit
Willie Baronet - We Are All Homeless - Signs of Humanity. Includes Art Exhibit and Film Documentary.
- October 27 Event
President's Evening 2017
- October 28 Event
Mountain Day Hike in recognition of the early tradition of Mountain Day, the College will host a hike to McAfee Knob for the student body.
- October 29 Event
Roanoke Choir performs in the National Cathedral on Reformation Sunday to celebrate the 500th Anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation.
- November 16 Event
Founders Day 2017 and Bittle Birthday Bash
On Founder's Day, our alumni chapters will coordinate service events in their home communities. In addition, all alumni, especially outside of Chapter areas, will be encouraged to perform service activities in their home communities. The College will ask all participating alumni to wear school colors for the Day of Service. We will utilize social media outlets for submitted photos and videos of service
- Nov 26 Event: Roanoke Choir Lessons and Carols Concert.
For the 33th consecutive year, the year, the Roanoke College Choir and Oriana Singers will present the unofficial opening to the Christmas season in the Roanoke Valley.
- Nov 29 Lecture
"Martin Luther and Johann Sebastian Bach" Dr. Jeffrey Sandborg presents religious motifs in Bach's music legacy and appropriation of Luther's theology.
- December 1
Salem Holiday Parade participation by SGA to celebrate the College's Anniversary.
- 175th Anniversary Track Invitational in Cregger Center
- Jan 19 Lecture
"The "Martin Luther" in Martin Luther King, Jr." presented by Dr. Richard Lischer (Duke University).
- Jan 21 Concert: Kandinsky Trio
"Martin Luther Year Celebration Concert: Bach and Leibniz. Drs. Brent Adkins and Gordon Marsh. Sponsored by the Jordan Endowment.
- Jan 25 Event Maroon Madness
Men's and Women's Basketball doubleheader will be the kickoff of the 175th for the campus community. Roanoke College Athletics, Campus Activity Board, and the Student Government Association are co-sponsoring this event. RC Women vs. Hollins at 5:30pm; RC Men vs. Emory and Henry at 7:00pm.
- Feb 18 Civic Engagement
Campus Joint Day of Service with Hollins University for students, faculty and staff at Feeding America.
- Feb 28 Lecture
"Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Literary Endeavors." Inquiry of the poems and works of fiction composed by Dietrich Bonhoeffer while imprisoned under the Nazis.
- In celebration of the 175th anniversaries for Roanoke and Hollins, the Oriana Singers of Roanoke and the Concert Choir, Chamber Choir, and Talmadge Singers of Hollins will come together for a collaborative concert on Sunday, February 26, 2017. The event will begin at 4:00 p.m., and is located in the Hollins University duPont Chapel. Jeffrey Sandborg and Shelbie Wahl-Fouts will be the conductors.
- March 13-31 Art Exhibit
Roanoke College/Hollins University collaborative art exhibit focusing on screen and film studies. RC Screening at the Grandin Theater on March 30, 2017. Exhibit moves to Hollins University April 1-16, 2017.
- March 14 Lecture
"A Lenten Penitence: Martin Luther and the Jews." Presented by Dr. Dean Bell, Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership.
- March 15 Women's Forum Keynote
Film viewing "A Thousand Voices" and discussion with producer Pamela Pierce'72 of Silver Bullet Productions.
- April 7-9 Alumni Weekend
Alumni celebration of the 175th Anniversary with a variety of events
- Reunions in 2017 will include Honor Guard (Class of 1966 and preceding), and the classes of 1967, 1972, 1977, 1992, 1997, 2001, 2007 and 2012.
Class of 1972: Hosting the Decade, 1967-1979.
- Showcase of Student Research & Creativity
- Honoring all Hall of Fame Members and Medalists
- Showcase of Student Research and Creativity
- April 22
Campus Field Day with Picnic and Games
- May 5 Baccalaureate 2017
- May 6 Commencement 2017