Summer Academy Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Summer Academy still taking place in 2020?
Unfortunately, Roanoke College has cancelled the 2020 Summer Academy because of the COVID-19 crisis. This will allow the College to protect the health of all students who planned to participate, and it will also help us improve the public health situation overall. While we will not be holding the Summer Academy this summer, we are very excited about the Summer of 2021. Our plan is to host the Summer Academy again in 2021, and we will share more information about 2021 offerings and activities soon.
Where will I live?
Resident students will stay in one of Roanoke College’s on-campus residence halls. All residence halls are located near classrooms, dining facilities, and fitness facilities.
What do I need to bring and to wear?
In general, the following are basic recommendations. Certain programs may have specific recommendations, and you may wish to bring other items for your time on campus.
- Comfortable clothing
- Athletic shoes and/or sandals with backs
- Umbrella/rain gear
- Medications, if applicable
- Bed linens for extra-long twin-sized bed
- Refillable water bottle, with student’s name
Are bed linens provided?
The Summer Academy does not provide bed linens. All beds are extra-long twin-sized, so please bring appropriate linens with you.
What will I eat?
Participants in the Summer Academy will eat in the Roanoke College Commons, our campus dining hall. There will be a variety of items to choose from each day. For some programs and for some residential students, there will be addition meals from off-campus providers.
What will our daily schedule look like?
After registration, you will receive a sample schedule for your time at Roanoke. This will include class times, meal times, recreational opportunities, etc.
What if I am unable to attend class for a day?
You will need to notify the program director or your resident advisor if you need to be absent for a day. That way we can also inform the professor.
Contact information for Summer Academy Staff
The primary contact for the Summer Academy is located in the Student Enrichment Office. You may reach that office at 540-375-2237 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is included in tuition?
- Small class size. Roanoke prides itself on the personal attention that each student receives.
- Access to well-respected scholars and professionals in their field of study
- A rewarding experience in a beautiful setting, surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Lodging in our on-campus residence halls (for residential students)
- Residence Life staff living in the residence halls (for residential students)
- Daily meals in our on-campus dining hall, Sutton Commons
- Experiences and opportunities outside of the classroom
- Roanoke College t-shirt
Medical information for registered students
- Parents must complete all parts of the required medical form
- After registration, you will receive an email with information about the form and more specific details.
- Return the form prior to the beginning of camp.
- Staff will refer to this form for contact information in case of a medical emergency.
- Medical personnel will refer to this form if medical treatment is necessary.
Payment, Cancellation, and Refund Policies for Week-Long Sessions
Payment may be made by credit card or check. The registration page shows options and details. Of the total registration fee, $250 is deemed a camp deposit which reserves the student’s spot in the program. This camp deposit if non-refundable and non-transferable. Week-Long participants may cancel their involvement in the program until June 15 and receive a partial refund (except for the $250 camp deposit and processing fees). After June 15, refunds are not available.
Scholarship information for Month-Long Research and Immersion Programs
Students enrolled in the month-long research and immersion programs will be eligible for a one-time scholarship in the amount of $2,500 to be used toward their future tuition charges. Students who have been previously accepted to Roanoke College for the 2019 Fall Term are not eligible for this scholarship.
Summer Academy Disclaimer
The programs in the Roanoke College Summer Academy are considered college-preparatory offerings for high school students. Through classes led by faculty members, peer discussions, field trips, guest speakers, or other means, some social and societal issues may be discussed. We encourage open discussion during the Academy, and some campers may have different perspectives and opinions than their peers or speakers. We wish to foster an environment where all voices can be heard and opinions are respected and discussed.