FAQs about Work Study

Does Roanoke have a work-study program?

Yes. When students arrive on campus at the start of the academic year, they must actively search for employment on their own. The Career Services Office maintains a listing of available campus jobs on their webpage. Students are also encourage to inquire at the individual departments and may be asked to complete an application or interview for the position.

What type of forms do I have to complete once I have obtained a campus job?

Once hired, all students must complete income tax withholding forms. This paperwork is located in Human Resources. Students must have two forms of identification with them in order to fulfill this federal requirement (driver's license, social security card, passport, etc.). All paperwork must be completed by the first day of employment in order to process timesheets and payroll.

How many hours can I expect to work?

The number of hours a student can work will be left to the discretion of both the student and supervisor. Typically students work anywhere from a couple of hours a week up to 10 or 12.

How much money will I make as a work-study student?

The rate of pay will be left to the discretion of the supervisor. Students must be paid at least federal minimum wage.  Your rate of pay may be higher depending on the type of work you do and the skills required.

Why don't I have work-study? I had it last year.

Eligibility for the Federal Work-study Program (FWSP) is determined by the results of the FAFSA. Your eligibility can change from year to year due to changes in parent and/or student income. Therefore, just because you may have received a work-study award in the past, you are not guaranteed it in the future. The Financial Aid Office will review your file annually and will award you work-study if you have filed the FAFSA and are eligible to receive those funds.

Are work-study earnings taxable?

The money you earn from Federal Work-Study is generally subject to federal and state income tax but exempt from FICA taxes.

Can I still work on campus though my award does not include Federal Work-Study?

Yes. Nearly 300 students in non work-study jobs earn an average of $1,000 annually in jobs on campus. In addition, many other students work off-campus in Salem and Roanoke. The Office of Career Services maintains a list of on- and off- campus jobs to assist students in securing positions.