Dental School Course Recommendations
Pre-Dental course recommendations from your Health Professions Advisors:
You can major in anything, however to be competitive you will need to satisfy some basic requirements. Requirements vary from school to school. You will need to confirm the requirements at the schools to which you are planning to apply. Students should not get below a C in any required course.
Take these courses required by most dental schools:
- 2 semesters of Biology with lab.
- If "introductory biology" is required, take BIOL 180 and BIOL 210
- 2 semesters of General Chemistry (CHEM 111 and 112)
- 2 semesters of Organic Chemistry (CHEM 221 and 222)
- 2 semesters of Physics (PHYS 103 and 104 or PHYS 201 and 202)
- "English" is required but will be satisfied through your RC degree.
Some schools require the following. Please consider these recommended if not required. Courses including dissection may be required by some schools.
- 1 semester of Biochemistry (CHEM 341)
- 1 or 2 semesters of Human Anatomy and Physiology (BIOL 230 and 260)
- 1 semester of Microbiology (BIOL 235)
- 1 semester of Physiology (BIOL 305)
- 1 semester of Vertebrate Zoology (BIOL 275)
Many dental programs suggest a few upper level science courses such as:
- BIOL 210 (Cell Biology)
- BIOL 315 (Genetics)
- BIOL 370 (Immunology)
- BIOL 390 (Advanced Cell Biology)
- BIOL 400 (Molecular Biology)
- BIOL 420 (Developmental Biology)
- CHEM 342 (Biochemistry II)
Non-science courses which may be required or recommended by a dental school:
- Statistics (INQ 240)
- Introductory Psychology (PSYC 101)
- Introductory Sociology (SOCI 101) or other behavioral science courses
- Courses involving hand/eye coordination such as drawing or other art classes.
- 2 units of "mathematics" Please check for specific requirements.
- Several semesters of courses such as Philosophy, History, Fine Arts, Business and Accounting
Courses which may help a student's understanding of issues in healthcare:
- SOCI 223 (Ethics and Medicine)
- SOCI 323 (Health, Illness and Healing)