Frequently Asked Questions

Will I get credit for courses I take abroad?
Students who go abroad receive transfer credit for the courses they take while overseas. Credit transfers on a credit/no-credit basis. As long as you pass your courses with a C- or better according to the host institution grading scale, they shouldn't in any way affect your GPA. Before leaving to study abroad, you will plan courses for the next year with your academic advisor at Roanoke College, making sure the courses you plan to take will allow you to graduate on time and will transfer as credit when you return. Your study plans will be pre-approved by the registrar before your departure. Remember to keep in touch with your academic advisor about course changes during your travels.

How do I pay and apply for each of these programs?
Information on the cost and application procedures are listed under each program.

How do I get Financial Aid?
With all of Roanoke's official exchange programs, your financial aid is portable. This means that your scholarships and loans are applied to your period of study while you are abroad. Normally, the student who is abroad pays Roanoke College directly, so that someone else can attend the college during that period in their place (thus the term "exchange"). There is limited portability of financial aid for students who participate in non-exchange programs. The student is expected to pay any program costs, including health insurance if this applies, and extra meals that apply to the student who is taking your place during the semester/academic year. There also is a $350 application fee. For more information about costs and financial aid, contact our office directly or check out the Financial Aid homepage.

How will I handle my financial situation abroad?
ATM machines are common and easy to find in most countries. Setting up an account with a local bank near your host institution is another option. You can always have money transferred electronically from your account in the U.S. to an account at a local bank in your host country. Be aware that there are ATM costs, exchange rates and commission rates for oversees withdrawals or transfers. Major credit cards are universally accepted, are usually secure and offer the best exchange rates. Also, please note that Traveler's Cheques are not always recognized or accepted in all locations.

What if I run into problems with courses, my housing situation or culture shock?
Make sure you keep the lines of communication open with people at Roanoke College and family members. You'll need to stay in touch with your advisor so you can pre-register for classes before coming back and to notify them of any changes in your course schedules. Also, before returning you'll need to contact Residence Life to make sure you'll have campus housing for the next semester. Remember to keep an even temper and stay open-minded, and you will soon master the typical challenges of studying abroad.