Finances and Financial Aid

Roanoke College Exchanges & Affiliate Programs

Students who enroll in Roanoke College exchanges pay Roanoke College tuition and fees. In some cases, students will pay room and board fees to Roanoke College. See individual program information for details. All financial aid is automatically applied as long as you follow all standard financial aid procedures at RC. 

Programs Not Affiliated with Roanoke College

Roanoke College invests considerable time, effort, and resources in the creation of study abroad programs consistent with the needs of its students, with College standards, and educational objectives. Therefore, students will be expected to enroll in Roanoke College exchange and affiliated programs. If a student decides to enroll in an unsponsored program, no study abroad benefits will apply. The student will be required to withdraw from Roanoke College during the semester abroad. As a result, no institutional or federal aid will apply for that semester. In addition, limited transfer credit policies apply. There will be no assistance from the International Education office for students who enroll in unaffiliated programs. Students will be responsible for all aspects of the application process and the processing of transfer credit in these cases will be handled by the Registrar's office.

Virginia Program at Oxford

Special financial aid is available for this program. Email Dr. Dana-Linn Whiteside for details.

Policy on Beard and Bittle Scholarships for Study Abroad

Beard Scholarships (tuition, room and board) can be applied: in full toward one or two terms on a Roanoke College international full exchange program (ISEP exchange, Kansai Gaidai University, University of East Anglia), Tuition only to one or two semesters on any other Roanoke College exchange program, Tuition only to one semester on any Roanoke College affiliated study abroad program. Bittle Scholarships (tuition) can be applied: in full toward one or two terms of any Roanoke College international exchange program, in full toward one term of a Roanoke College affiliated study abroad program As with all other Roanoke College institutional financial aid, Beard and Bittle Scholarships cannot be applied to study abroad programs which are neither Roanoke College exchanges nor Roanoke College affiliated programs. 

Policy on Tuition Exchange and Tuition Remission for Study Abroad

Students enrolled at Roanoke College through the tuition exchange or tuition remission programs may apply their tuition exchange or remission benefits to study abroad on Roanoke College exchange programs and Roanoke College extension programs. Tuition exchange and remission benefits cannot be applied to study abroad with Roanoke College affiliate programs. Depending on their family circumstances, students wishing to enroll in affiliated programs may be eligible for Roanoke College financial aid and should consult with a financial aid counselor.

Internal Sources of Funding

Roanoke College is now offering need-based scholarships. The amount of the scholarships vary but generally does not exceed $2,000. If you would like to apply for one of these scholarships please complete the scholarship application. Completed applications must be received by April 1 for Summer, Fall, and Yearlong programs; and by November 1 for Spring semester programs.

External Sources of Funding

The Associate Director for Global Engagement is prepared to assist students interested in applying for external competitive study abroad scholarships such as the Gilman, Boren, and the Freeman-Asia scholarship programs. All students are highly encouraged to consider applying for these awards.

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program

The Gilman Scholarship is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and is administered by the Institute of International Education.

Over 2,300 scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded this academic year for U.S. citizen undergraduates to study abroad. Award amounts will vary depending on the length of study and student need with the average award being approximately $4,000.


  • Enrolled as an undergraduate student at a two or four-year U.S. institution.
  • United States Citizen
  • Receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of study abroad
  • Participating in a study abroad program that is no less than 4 weeks and no more than an academic year
  • Receiving academic credit for study abroad
  • Study in any country not currently under a U.S. State Department Travel Warning or Cuba

Find information on the current deadlines here.

Critical Language Scholarship (CLS)

Students who apply for and receive the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship to study abroad are then eligible to receive an additional $3,000 Critical Need Language Supplement from the Gilman Scholarship Program for a total possible award of up to $8,000. Critical needs languages include:  

  • Arabic (all dialects)
  • Azerbaijani
  • Bangla
  • Chinese (all dialects)
  • Hindi
  • Indonesian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Persian 
  • Portuguese
  • Punjabi
  • Russian
  • Swahili
  • Turkish
  • Urdu


  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Enrolled as an undergraduate student at an accredited two or four-year U.S. institution.
  • United States Citizen at the time of application
  • If in an undergraduate program (bachelor's or associate's), complete at least one full-time equivalent year of study (two semesters or three quarters) by the beginning of the CLS Program in summer of program.

Find deadline information here

National Security Education Program (NSEP), David L. Boren Scholarship for undergraduate students

Boren awards provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. students to study in Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East, where they can add important international and language components to their educations.

Boren Scholarships provide up to $20,000 for an academic year's study abroad, $10,000 for a semester, and $8000 for summer STEM programs (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math).

The deadline information for the Boren Scholarship is here


  • U.S. citizen
  • Enrolled as an undergraduate student at a two or four-year U.S. institution.
  • Applying to engage in a study abroad experience in a country outside of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand that meets home institution standards.
  • Planning to use the scholarship for study abroad, and the study abroad program ends before you graduate.

Other Scholarship Opportunities:

Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) Scholarships

Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan

Freeman Asia Scholarship

Go! Study Abroad Scholarship

Searchable databases for scholarships: