Commuter Student Information
Commuter Student Requirements
A students may be a commuter if he or she:
- has lived in the Roanoke Valley area (within 30 miles of campus) for at least six months preceding the date of first enrollment and continue to reside with their parent(s)/guardian(s);
- is married;
- lives with grandparents, or siblings who live in the Roanoke Valley area;
- is 23 years old (before the beginning of the term they desire to live off campus)
- have/will have a dependent child prior to the beginning of term he or she desires to live off campus (student must provide documentation of pregnancy or birth certificate of dependent child);
- is a military veteran;
- is enrolled part-time (students who claim off campus status due to part-time enrollment and who return to full-time status during the current or a subsequent semester, will be charged the current room and board rate);
- has received and accepted prior approval by the Residence Life and Housing staff and are currently living off-campus;
- is a 5th year senior.
Becoming a Commuter Student
If you have previously been living on-campus
If you have been previously living on campus but would like to become a commuter and are eligible, please fill out a Request for Change in Residency Status Form and return it to the Office of Residence Life & Housing.
If you choose an on campus space, then return to commuter status after June 15, you will lose $300 of your deposit. If you return to commuter status after the 2018-2019 academic year begins, you will forfeit any housing fees paid.
If you would like to be a commuter student and you are choosing not to go through housing selection, please let the Office of Residence Life & Housing know as soon as possible.