Campus Buildings and Facilities



The first structure on campus, this building went up in 1848, a square, two-story box.  Over the years, east and west wings and the upper story were added.  The last major renovation, in 1903, fortunately did not include a 96-foot dome that imitated the nation's Capitol building and was strongly endorsed by the architect.  The "Ad" building now houses the offices of the President, the Vice President for Academic Affairs/Dean of the College, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, the Registrar, the Director of International Education, the Director of General Education and the Director of Institutional Research.


Afton Hall houses 42 upper-class students in 14 individual apartments.  Afton Hall will remain open year round.


Completed in August 2005, Allegheny Hall forms a residence "complex" along with Caldwell and Ritter Halls.  Allegheny houses upper-class men and women.


Located on the Elizabeth Campus, the Alpha Sigma Alpha house, formerly known as Markley Hall, was originally named in memory of Christopher Markley, who served on the Board of the Lutheran Children's Home of the South.  Alpha Sigma Alpha accommodates affiliates of the sorority.


After years of anticipation concerning this project, the Alumni Association organized a campaign for funds and built this facility in 1930.  Total cost was $138,354.00, and three large contributions were received from J.T. Lupton, class of 1882, James Ellwood Jones, class of 1887, and R.M. Calfee, class of 1893.  Now it is the home of the Dean of Students Office and the Office of Multicultural Affairs.  The entrance to Student Affairs is under the clock tower on the South end of the building.  If you enter through the North doors, you can use the gym to shoot hoops in your spare time, participate in intramural events, and attend a dance or other performing arts events.  The swimming pool, a PE classroom, and a woman's locker rooms are on the lower level of Alumni Gym.


The Annex was acquired with the Old County Courthouse, now West Hall, in 1988.  The Public Relations and Upward Bound Offices are located in the Annex.


Built in 1970, the chapel is a generous gift of Mr. and Mrs. A. Blair Antrim in memory of their son Charles Massie Antrim, a 1961 Roanoke College graduate.


Augusta Hall was originally used as a private dwelling for Roanoke College staff.  After the retirement of Charlie Perfater, the Physical Plant Director, the house was renovated for student housing.  Augusta currently houses upper-class students.


The campus playground is famous for its Frisbee games, picnics, live music, intramural events, and much more.  The back quad stretches from Alumni Gym to High Street and is bordered by the Colket Center, Sections, Bittle Hall, Trout Hall, and the Administration Building.  It is a greatly used, much appreciated part of the RC campus.


The second women's residence hall, opened in 1958, this building was named for Dr. William I. Bartlett '25. He joined the faculty in 1927 and taught English.  He later rose to become Head of the Department and Dean of the College.  In 1953, driving home from teaching an evening class in Roanoke, Dr. Bartlett, stricken at the wheel of his car, pulled to the side of the road and collapsed.  Police found him and detained him for four hours as "under the influence of intoxicants".  When friends prevailed on a doctor to make a medical examination, the educator was at once hospitalized.  He died the following day, the victim of a cerebral hemorrhage.  The circumstances of his tragic death led to a revision of police methods in Roanoke.  Dr. Bartlett was deeply admired by his students and respected by his peers.  Bartlett Hall is now the home for approximately 85 freshmen students.


Officially named the C. Homer Bast Physical Education and Recreational Center, this building houses the Health and Human Performance Offices along with the Athletic Offices and the Department of Education Offices.  The Maroons play varsity basketball and volleyball in the main gym.  The Bast Center hosts PE courses, intramural events, racquetball courts, and on occasion, speakers and lecturers.  The equipment room and men's and women's lockers are located on the lower level.


The Alumni Track is located at the North end of campus.  Resurfaced in the summer of 2001, the 400-meter track and internal playing field is the home site for our men's and women's track and field teams.


Funded by a generous gift of $750,000 from the Belk Foundation of Charlotte, N.C., Mary Claudia Belk, a 1996 graduate of Roanoke College, represented the Belk Foundation at the dedication in February 1998.  The Belk Fitness Center is a 5,000 square foot addition to the C. Homer Bast Physical Education and Recreation Center.  The Belk Fitness Center features 75 individual workstations, including state-of-the-art cardiovascular equipment.  The center also offers a full line of Body Master Stations, Hammer Strength lifting equipment and a large selection of free-weights.  The center also includes a stretching/abdominal work area. You'll find the hours are quite liberal.  Bring your headphones and enjoy television entertainment while you work out.


Dedicated in 1954, the Bell Tower honors Henry Hill, whose 40 years as janitor and faithful toiler of the bells marked classes, chapel, and meals for students.  From 1911 until 1953 he served generations of students with the philosophical views of "a Christian gentleman."  Student pranksters often stole his bell (which was mounted on the back porch of the Ad Building) but in later years Henry outfoxed the culprits -- he had a tape recording made and if the bell was missing, he played that instead.


Begun in June of 1878, this building opened as the first library on October 17, 1879, marking the inauguration of Dr. Julius D. Dreher as the third president of the College.  When conceived, this structure was to have marked and honored the centennial of General Andrew Lewis, but with the death of Dr. Bittle in 1876, there was a change in plans.  Early references to this building call it Bittle Memorial and Lewis Hall.  With renovations and an added wing, it served as the library until 1962 when the new library on High Street was opened.  Bittle Hall was converted to the Office of Student Affairs the following summer.  In 1982, Student Affairs moved to the Alumni Gym. The Virginia Synod of the ELCA then obtained this building as its headquarters.


Blue Ridge Hall was built in the mid 60's to house a male fraternity.  The residence hall underwent extensive renovations in the summer of 2001 and again during the 2008-2009 academic year.  Blue Ridge currently houses freshmen and upper-class men and women.


Opened in the summer session of 1965, this residence hall honors Alpheus M. Bowman, Jr., '06, whose service on the Board of Trustees was unbroken from 1915 until his death in 1963.   In addition to a generous gift of money in his will, the building stands upon property he left to the College.  During the summer of 1988, the individual rooms of Bowman Hall were completely renovated, and during the summer of 1996 the basement of Bowman Hall was renovated to provide additional space for male residents. As well as housing freshman and upper-class students, Bowman is also the home of Campus Safety and the Outdoor Adventures Center. 


Catawba Hall was built in the mid 1960's and designed to house a male fraternity.  The residence hall underwent extensive renovations in the summer of 1998 and currently houses approximately 45 residents, both male and female.  Catawba Hall houses the "Global Village" international theme area.  Catawba Hall will remain open year round. 


Completed in August 2005, Caldwell Hall forms a residence "complex" along with Allegheny and Ritter Halls.  Caldwell houses upper-class men and women.  The building is named for Clarence Caldwell, a former vice president of finance, at the request of Roanoke College Board of Trustee member Nancy Baird Mulheren '72.  Ms. Mulheren pledged $2.5 million for the new residence hall in tribute to her late husband, John Mulheren '71, who died in 2004. "Clarence Caldwell is the man who always kept his eye on meeting the tuition needs of students," Nancy Mulheren said. "Without him, John could not have stayed in school."


Originally part of the Methodist Church property purchased by the College in 1950, this was a Sunday school building named by the church for James Chalmers who was not only a strong Methodist leader, but also treasurer of the Roanoke College Board of Trustees from 1882 to 1899.  The main level was extensively renovated in the summer of 1998 and the ground level in the summer of 2001 to provide additional living spaces for upper-class residents.   The ground and first floors of Chalmers comprise the designated Multicultural theme area.


Completed in August 2006, Chesapeake Hall is home for the Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, and Phi Mu sororities and the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity. 


The Colket Center serves as the campus center and was completed in 2000.  This facility is handicapped accessible and provides wireless connections for your computer.  Located in the Colket Center are the Sutton Commons, the college snack bar "The Cavern", a game room, meeting rooms, lounges, an ATM, public access computers, vending machines, the Bookstore, and Mail Services.  At the Information Desk you can schedule campus facilities, buy discount movie and baseball tickets, purchase campus activities events tickets, buy your yearbook, get change for laundry, and much more.  You can also find the offices of the Director of Auxiliary Services, the Colket Center Director and the Director of Campus Recreation.  The Colket Center is open seven days a week while school is in session.  Check out our web site at:


Originally built as faculty apartments, this structure was started in 1923.  College Hall has served as a men's residence hall, a women's residence hall and since 1964, the office of Business Affairs. It is now the home of Business Affairs Administration, the Business Office, and the Department of Human Resources.  The Vice President-Business Affairs is Mr. Mark Noftsinger.


A coed freshman and upper-class residence hall, this building opened in the summer of 1964 as a women's residence hall.  It was named for Mr. Joseph E. Crawford, who served on the Board of Trustees of Roanoke College for 28 years.  He left $600,000 to the College, which, at the time, was the largest gift of that kind given to Roanoke College.  He believed that independent schools like Roanoke were very important to the preservation of our free heritage.


Formerly the Lutheran Children's Home, this property was obtained in 1984.  Four buildings on the campus, Elizabeth Hall, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Kappa Alpha, and Pi Kappa Alpha serve as residences for students.  Intercollegiate practices (men's and women's soccer, lacrosse and field hockey), are held on the athletic fields at the Elizabeth Campus.


Located on the Elizabeth Campus, Elizabeth (Liz) Hall most recently served as offices for Lutheran Children's Services.  The building received extensive renovations during the summer of 2004 and currently houses 37 co-ed residents in separate apartments.  All bedrooms in Liz Hall are singles.  Beginning fall 2009 Liz Hall will remain open during official College breaks.


The Fintel Library is named in honor of Dr. Norman Fintel, the eighth president of Roanoke College, and his wife, Jo, both of whom served Roanoke College from 1975 to 1989.  For more information see page 23.


Built as a final addition to the first men's housing complex, the sixth section opened in 1958 and honors Dr. Luther A. Fox 1868, an outstanding Lutheran minister and the first to receive an honorary D.D. from Roanoke College.  Dr. Fox joined the faculty in 1882, teaching history, philosophy and religion until his death in 1925.  Dr. Fox awed his students because he never brought a textbook to class, yet made references or assignments both by pages and lines with unerring accuracy.  Fox now houses both male and female upper-class residents.


The Henry H. Fowler '29 Alumni House is a former residence of the president.  It was dedicated to Mr. Fowler, class of 1929, in 1997, for his years of service to the College.  It now houses the offices of Career Services and Community Programs.


Located on the Elizabeth Campus, the Kappa Alpha House, formerly known as Crabtree Hall, accommodates affiliates of the fraternity.


Funded by a generous gift from Donald J. Kerr '61 and a member of the Board of Trustees, Kerr Stadium is the home of the Maroon Field Hockey, Lacrosse and Soccer teams.  Opened in the spring of 2007, Kerr Stadium seats 1000 spectators and is equipped with synthetic turf (FieldTurf), and state-of-the-art lighting.  Night games are great fun for all students.  Come out and support your classmates!


Yet unnamed, this building was the third of the complex along with Massengill and Trexler built in 1970.  The biology and psychology departments are located here.

Henry M. Lucas was a machine tool manufacturer from Cleveland, Ohio, whose only knowledge of Roanoke College was through friend and attorney, R.M. Calfee '93, also a member of the College Board of Trustees.  Mr. Lucas donated $75,594.33 to build the Hall; Mr. Calfee provided another $5,000 in equipment and it was dedicated in 1941.  Mr. Lucas died of pneumonia in March of 1942, but this friend of education left the written reasons for his gift, which were engraved and mounted in the main hall.  This is a classroom building originally designed as the new home for chemistry, that is now the headquarters for the English and Foreign Languages departments.

Built in 1968, Marion Hall was named in tribute to the alumnae of Marion College (1873-1967).  This two-year Lutheran women's college was closed in 1967.  As a sister college, Roanoke College holds their records, and their alumnae meet every other year on Roanoke's campus.  Marion College alumnae continue their interest in higher education through their numerous gifts, which especially promote the Fine Arts at Roanoke College.  Marion houses freshman and upper-class males and females.


Built in 1970 along with Trexler Hall and the Life Science building, this auditorium was named in memory of Samuel E. Massengill, founder of Massengill Pharmaceutical Company and a graduate of Roanoke College class of 1892.  While you might have a class scheduled here, you'll also find a number of films shown on campus can be viewed in this facility.


Miller Hall was renovated in 2006.  Named for Michael Miller of Roanoke County who donated the $1,000 needed to complete this project, this hall is the second oldest building on campus, erected in 1857 and renovated in 1932, then enlarged to its present form in 1946.  Mr. Miller was a member of the original founders of the Virginia Collegiate Institute and was instrumental in helping locate the Salem site for Roanoke College when it was moved from near Staunton in 1847.  Located next to Lucas Hall, Miller Hall also has classrooms and is the home of the English Department.


Located at the corner of High and Clay streets, Monterey is used as the Faculty House meeting space and serves as the college's guest house.  The property has federal, state and local historic landmark status.  The large, Greek Revival-style house was built in 1853 for Powell Huff, a Salem businessman.  In its long history, Monterey has served as a hotel, a rooming house, a fraternity house and was a private residence from the 1920s until the college purchased it in 2002.  According to tradition, the buildings on the Monterey property were built by the Dyerle brothers. The Dyerles also built the College's Administration Building.

Formerly the Faculty House or Kendig Hall, Morehead Hall houses the offices of the Chaplain (ext. 2300), Community Services (ext. 2300), The Counseling Center (ext.2302) and the Campus Ministry offices of BSU, LSM, CCM, and InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (ext.2301).

MT. TABOR HALL                                                   

Better known as Tabor, Mt. Tabor Hall was built in 1967 to house a male fraternity.  In 1982, Tabor Hall received extensive renovations and converted to general upper-class student housing.  The building underwent extensive renovations again in 2007 and 2008 and reopened in the fall of 2008.   Tabor Hall is named after the original location of the Virginia Institute, which later became Roanoke College and houses freshmen and upper-class men and women. 


Scheduled to open in Fall 2012, the "New" Hall is the most recent addition to on-campus housing.  It will be the largest residence hall at Roanoke College with a variety of living choices including doubles, singles, pods and suites.


Built in 1977 and 1985, this Fine Arts Center is the $5 million gift of the F.W. Olin Foundation, Minneapolis, Minnesota.  It houses the art, music, and theater studies; faculty and staff offices; a recital hall; and a modern stage and auditorium..  Olin Hall serves the campus and the area community as a fine arts center.  Also, the art, theatre, and music majors are all taught here in the Department of Fine Arts.  A 400-seat theater, a recital hall, a media room, studios, and art gallery are used regularly to bring many activities to Roanoke College.  Olin Theater was renovated in 1998, when a state-of-the-art sound system was installed.


Located on the Elizabeth Campus, the Pi Kappa Alpha house, formerly known as Kime Hall, was completed in 1926 and was originally named for R.W. Kime, who served as Secretary for the Lutheran Children's Home of the South for 19 years.  Pi Kappa Alpha accommodates affiliates of the fraternity.


Completed in August 2005, Ritter Hall forms a residence "complex" along with Caldwell and Allegheny Halls.  Ritter houses upper-class men and women.  The building is named for Rev. Guy "Tex" Ritter, retired associate professor of religion and philosophy, at the request of Roanoke College Board of Trustee member Nancy Baird Mulheren '72.   Ms. Mulheren pledged $2.5 million for the new residence hall in tribute to her late husband, John Mulheren '71, who died in 2004. "Tex Ritter is a symbol of spirit and generosity," Mulheren said. "He always has a great story to tell and he is anxious to share a lesson in life. Plus, he mentored John in 'pranksterology!' It was Tex who allowed the historic obelisk, "the rock", to be built in secret in his garage."


The College obtained the Old City of Salem School Administration building in 1997.  It now contains the offices of the Resource Development department.


Once the traditional home of Roanoke College presidents, the present building was erected in 1915 and first occupied by Dr. John Alfred Morehead, fourth president, and his family in 1916.  Prior to its construction, President Dreher had lived on the same land in a home originally built by Dr. William B. Yonce (1828-1895) and purchased from him by Dr. Julius D. Dreher, third president (1846-1937).  Today Roselawn houses the offices of Admissions and Financial Aid.


Sections include the group of six residence halls facing the back quad.  First, second, and third sections are Wells Hall; fourth and fifth sections are Yonce Hall; and the sixth section is Fox Hall. All areas house upper-class students.


Originally built as a fraternity house, Shenandoah Hall was renovated and opened in 1994 as an upper-class co-ed residence hall.   It again received extensive renovations during the 2008-2009 academic year and currently houses freshmen and upper-class men and women.


Located on Elizabeth Camps, the Sigma Chi House, formerly known as McClanahan Hall, accommodates affiliates of the fraternity.


The first residence hall expressly planned for Roanoke College women was opened in September of 1941 and honors Dr. Charles J. Smith '01, the fifth president, who served from 1920 until 1949.  He lived in Salem and is the beloved "Dr. Charlie" honored in the words on the Administration Building plaque.  Smith Hall underwent renovations in the summer of 1989.  Smith houses freshmen residents.


In 1925 H.E. Strudwick joined the college staff as Business Manager, and the job then was as hectic as it is now.  "Dad" Strudwick had an eye for nature and his methods in bending it to his will may not have been scientific or trained, but they were direct.  He oversaw programs to landscape the back campus and had trees put where he thought they should go.  He began a program of putting out dried ears of corn to attract squirrels, so that several generations raised their young here and squirrels are now a part of the campus scene.  The hedge along High Street was his idea and he was instrumental in urging the Class of 1933 to raise money for the High Street Gateway.  A bench in Dad Strudwick's memory is located on the front quad of the campus.


Originally built in 1910, the building still serves as the college's dining facility.  The Sutton Commons was completely renovated in the summer of 2000 and is integrated into the college's campus center, the Colket Center.


Built in 1970 as part of a three-building complex, Trexler Hall was named after Duke C. Trexler, LL.D. (1970 honorary degree) for his distinguished service and contributions to the college.  He is also a graduate of the Roanoke class of 1913.  It is opposite the Life Science Building; Trexler houses the Chemistry, and Mathematics, Computer Science, and Physics departments.


Dating from 1867 and named for John Trout of Roanoke County who donated money for its construction, Trout is the third oldest building. Trout was president of the Board of Trustees of the college from 1866 until 1882.  The depression on the lawn in front of Trout is all that is left of the hole gouged out to make bricks on the building site.  The original building contained a small Chapel, the walls of which were lined with marble memorial tablets.  The building was renovated in 1939, and in the '60's, it was adapted for a language laboratory.  Until 2004 it was the office of the Chaplain.  Trout Hall was renovated and is now the home for the Sociology Dept while also housing the office of Academic Grants.


Constructed as the first section of men's residence halls known as "Sections 1, 2 and 3", this structure went up in 1910.  It honors Dr. Simon Carson Wells, a teacher of mathematics and natural science on the faculty from 1849 until his death in 1900 and a man who served as Secretary to the Board of Trustees for 47 years.  His only absence from campus was to serve in the War Between the States.  


Acquired in 1988, the old Roanoke County Courthouse is the college's newest classroom building and renamed West Hall.  The Departments of Business Administration and Economics, Religion/Philosophy, History, and Public Affairs have their offices here.  West Hall is located at the corner of Main Street and College Avenue.


                By 1913, another men's residence hall section was needed.  The fourth and fifth halls of Sections were financed by Alumni gifts and honor Dr. William B. Yonce, professor of ancient languages and literature from 1854 until 1895 who, like Dr. Bittle and Dr. Wells, gave his full life to students of Roanoke College.  Later, the addition of two wheelchair accessible suites was added to accommodate physically challenged students.