Roanoke at a Glance
Roanoke College is an independent, co-educational, 4-year liberal arts college. Founded in 1842, we are the second-oldest Lutheran-related college in America. We seek and welcome students of all races, creeds, nationalities and ethnic origins.
- Approximately 2,000 full-time students
- From 43 states and 31 countries
- 101 areas of study, including majors, minors, concentrations and pre-professional programs
- 13:1 student teacher ratio
- 19 varsity teams, 18 club teams and a robust intramural sports program
- 100+ clubs and organizations
- $41,110 tuition, $13,258 room & board
- 85% of students receive financial aid
- $31,136 average scholarship and aid package for FAFSA filers
- #4 US News & World Report's Up-and-coming National Liberal Arts Colleges
- Top 7%--one of only 286 institutions with academic credentials to house a Phi Beta Kappa honor society chapter
- Top 9% The Princeton Review's Best 381 Colleges
- Top 10% Forbes magazine's "America's Best Colleges"
- In the heart of historic Salem VA (Pop. 25,000)
- 10 minutes from the city of Roanoke VA (metro area approximately 300,000); consistently ranked one of the most livable cities in America
- Direct air service to Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.
- 10 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Appalachian Trail and the Roanoke River
Campus & Facilities
- 80-acre campus
- Ranked among top 20 most beautiful campuses in 2012 by The Princeton Review
- More than 10% of campus buildings are on the Virginia and National Historic registers
- Approximately 2,000 full-time students
- 59% female, 41% male
- 78% live on campus
- 131 tenure-track faculty
- 95% hold highest degree possible in their field
- Includes graduates of Cornell, Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Princeton, UVA and Yale
- 34 majors, 54 minors and concentrations and 12 pre-professional programs
- 18 students in average class; 94% have fewer than 30
- Unique core curriculum replaces typical introductory courses found at most colleges
- Degrees offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Business Administration
- Elementary and secondary teacher licensure
- Honors program
- Extensive real-world learning opportunities, including:
- Pre-professional programs: athletic training, dentistry, dual-degree engineering, law, medicine, ministry, occupational therapy, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician's assistant, social work, and veterinary medicine
- Foreign languages available: Ancient Greek, Chinese (Mandarin), English as a second language, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian and Spanish
- 100+ clubs
- 5 fraternities, 4 sororities
- 10 multi-cultural groups and religious organizations
- 9 men's and 10 women's varsity teams
- Compete in NCAA Division III
- 24 Intramural and Club sports
- Extensive Outdoor Adventures program
- Freshman Service Day during orientation
- Service programs benefit local schools, Habitat for Humanity, Family Promise, Rescue Mission, West End Center for Youth, plus many other programs throughout the year
- 15,728 graduates living in almost every state and across the world in almost 50 different foreign countries
- 12 Alumni chapters
- Roanoke College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Business Administration degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Roanoke College.
- The three-fold purpose for publishing the Commission's Address and contact number is to enable interested constituents 1) to learn about the accreditation status of the institution; 2) to file a third-party comment at the time of the institution's decennial review; 3) to file a complaint against the institution for alleged non-compliance with a standard or requirement.
- Note that normal inquiries about the institution, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to Roanoke College and not to the Commission's office.
- The Business Administration program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs.
- The Chemistry program is accredited by the American Chemistry Society
- The Biochemistry program is accredited by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- The Teacher Licensure program is accredited by the Virginia Department of Education
- The Athletic Training major is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education