Frequently Asked Questions

Here are answers to some common questions:

What documents do I need to apply?

A completed application; an official secondary transcript (with translation if necessary); an essay; letter of recommendation; official results of at least one of the following standardized test: SAT, TOEFL, IELTS, or appropriate national examinations.  More about how to apply.

How do I apply for my F-1 Student Visa? 

To apply for an F-1 visa, you must have an I-20 Visa Eligibility Form from Roanoke College and follow visa application procedures.

I-20 Commuter Form (Word Document)

I-20 Commuter Form (PDF)

I-20 Resident Form (Word Document)

I-20 Resident Form (PDF)

Does Roanoke College offer scholarships and financial aid to international students?

Yes. Roanoke College offers partial tuition scholarships based on your academic achievement. To be eligible, you must first be accepted to the College; at that point, you're automatically considered for an academic scholarship ranging from $7,000 to $15,000 USD per year. You may also apply to the Fellows Program.

Limited financial aid is available.  To apply, fill out this Financial Aid Application

Can I work on campus to help pay for my education?

Yes. You may work on campus for up to 20 hours per week. Most campus jobs require students to submit an application and be interviewed for a position. Job openings are announced through the Career Services Office.

How much should I expect to spend in a year?

In addition to tuition, fees, and room and board, you should keep in mind additional expenses. Additional expenses include an annual estimated cost of $1,000 for textbooks, $1,250 for transportation and $1,000 for personal expenses.

Do I need health insurance?

Yes. You must purchase health insurance through the College. The estimated cost of health insurance for the 2023-24 school year is $1,400 (10 months).

Does Roanoke offer ESL courses?

No.  Roanoke does not have an English Language Center/Institute on-campus so Non-Native English speakers must meet the minimum requirements on an English assessment test.

Is there a minimum TOEFL score?

Yes. We recommend a minimum score of 68 (Internet-based) and 190 (computer-based) on the TOEFL but we recommend a TOEFL score of 80 or higher for best admission consideration.

Can I transfer credits from my university back home?

Yes, as long as Roanoke offers comparable courses. When you apply, send us your official university or college transcripts, and, if possible, a translated academic catalogue with the description of the courses you have taken.

Can I stay on campus during breaks and over the summer?

International students are welcome to stay on campus during shorter breaks for free. The shorter breaks include fall break, Thanksgiving break, spring break and Easter weekend. Generally, international students are encouraged to participate in College trips or live with a home-stay family during the breaks. During the month long winter holiday break, international students are not able to stay on campus unless they live in Chalmers Hall, Afton Hall or Elizabeth Hall.  However, an alternative home-stay can be arranged. There is a housing fee to stay on campus during the summer months.