Transfer FAQs

We're happy to answer questions anytime during the admissions season. Don't see the answer here? Contact us at 540-375-2270.

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

My College is offering an option to utilize a Pass/Fail grading system for my Spring 2020 semester courses.  Will Roanoke College accept a Pass/Fail grade?

Roanoke College will accept P/F grades to determine both acceptance to the College and to award transfer credit.  Whether as a transfer student or a high school dually enrolled student, a P+ will count as a C grade and toward credit. A grade of P- will be considered a D grade and will not be awarded credit.

Will a P+ grade affect my Roanoke College grade point average?

In keeping with our transfer policy, when credits transfer in toward your Roanoke College degree, they transfer without a grade. Therefore, your Roanoke College grade point average will be built by using only the courses you take here. Your P+ grades will not affect your Roanoke gpa.

General FAQs

Q: What qualifies a student to be a transfer student?

A: We consider a Transfer student to be anyone who has enrolled in a college/university after their high school graduation date.  Students taking college level classes or receiving an Associate's Degree after their high school graduation date should apply as a Transfer student.  Transcripts from all colleges attended (while in high school and after) should be sent to the admissions office.  A transfer GPA of a 2.2 or above is required.

Students who take college level classes while enrolled in high school (dual-enrollment), or who receive an associate's degree while also enrolled in high school should apply using the first-year freshman application.

Q: What do I need to do to be considered for admission?

A: Submit the online or paper application and have all college transcripts and high school transcript sent directly to us.

Q: Is a General Equivalency Diploma acceptable?

A: Yes, a GED is acceptable in place of a traditional high school diploma/transcript.

Q: What are the deadlines?

A: Transfers are admitted on a rolling admissions basis, but the following dates are recommended: May 15 for fall semester applications; November 15 for spring semester applications. Extensions granted if necessary.

If you're interested in need-based financial aid, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to the federal government as soon after October 1 as possible for the upcoming fall semester.

Q: Does Roanoke have a minimum GPA for transfers?

A: Yes, you must have at least a 2.2 GPA from acceptable, transferable, academic college credits to be considered for admission.  A 2.2 does not guarantee admission.

Q: How do I know which college credits will transfer to Roanoke?

A: Credit for academic work completed elsewhere will be accepted by official transcripts from regionally accredited colleges and universities if the courses are appropriate to the academic curriculum of Roanoke College. At least one-half of the total units/credits required to graduate from Roanoke College (excluding physical education activity courses) must be earned at Roanoke College, and at least one-half of the minimum number of units/credits required for a major must be completed at Roanoke.  After a student has registered with Roanoke, degree credit will be granted only for elective courses and, in exceptional cases, up to a total of two courses in the student's major, minor or concentration taken at another institution. Transfer credit will be granted for work in which a grade of "C-" or higher has been earned. 

When the Admissions Office receives all of your official college transcripts, you will be mailed a transcript evaluation indicating which courses will be accepted and how they fill requirements at Roanoke. 

Although there is no limit on how many courses or credits can transfer, a minimum of 17 units (each unit is equal to four credits) must be earned at Roanoke.  This is approximately one-half of the total required for graduation and is usually equivalent to two years. 

Q: Does Roanoke College participate in any articulation agreements?

A: Roanoke College has long standing guaranteed admissions through articulation agreements with many institutions.  These agreements guarantee admission provided the student completes an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree program with a GPA of 2.2 or higher. Additional coursework will be needed to complete Roanoke College's General Education requirements. 

Q: Do grades transfer to Roanoke?

A: No, only courses transfer to Roanoke. The GPA you earned at any other accredited institution is relevant only for determining eligibility for admission.

Q: Does Roanoke offer night, weekend or distance-learning programs for degree candidates?

A: Roanoke does not offer weekend or distance-learning classes. Some evening courses are available; however, no degree can be earned by only taking night courses.

Q: Is financial aid available for transfers?

A: Yes. Academic scholarships, in-state/out-of-state grants, several selective grants, and need-based financial assistance are available. Once you are accepted, you will be reviewed for merit scholarships; no application is needed.  The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is required for federal, state and need-based assistance. The FAFSA should be submitted as soon after October 1 as possible for the upcoming fall semester.