Doris Wright Lawrence ’49
Doris Wright Lawrence was a lifelong Roanoke Valley resident and a strong supporter of the College and many volunteer organizations.
Mrs. Lawrence graduated from William Fleming High School and attended Roanoke from 1945 to 1946. She met her husband, a fellow student, at that time.
She was an active volunteer at the College and a supporter of The Taubman Museum of Art, the Roanoke Transportation Museum, The Roanoke Foundation, The Discovery Shop and other organizations. She belonged to Second Presbyterian Church in Roanoke.
In 1992, she and her husband, Weldon T. Lawrence, Jr., founder of Lawrence Transportation Systems, donated packing and shipping services to Roanoke College to help move 168,00 books and 321,000 items into the newly renovated Fintel Library. "Operation BookSwitch," which included a brigade of faculty, staff and student movers, holds a memorable place in College lore.
The Lawrences came to Roanoke's aid again later the same year when they trucked campus-donated items to Florida to assist the victims of Hurricane Andrew.
Mrs. Lawrence was a member of the College's Community Advisory Board and served on the National Associates Committee and the Sesquicentennial Committee. She and her husband each were awarded the Roanoke College Medal in 1994 for representing the ideals of responsible leadership, intellectual integrity and good citizenship through their professional accomplishments and through service to the community and alma mater.
Doris Wright Lawrence received the Roanoke College Medal in 1994.