The Reverend Doctor William E. Kinser was born on July 10, 1923. He graduated from Roanoke College in 1948, and went on to attend the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, where he received the Master of Divinity in 1951 and the Doctor of Ministry in 1981. Pastor Kinser distinguished himself in the areas of service to the church and the community.
In 1951, Pastor Kinser was the organizing pastor of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Martinsville. He pastured Holy Trinity from 1951-1958, and in 1958 he became the mission developer and organize St. Luke Lutheran Church in Richmond, Virginia. He served as the pastor for that church since that time. Pastor Kinser served as president of the Virginia Lung Associate and the Southern Conference of the Lung Association.
He was a member of the Board of Directors of the American Lung Association and received the Douglas Southall Freedom Award of the Virginia Lung Association. He was a member of the Board of Trustees of the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary and a member of the Synod Executive Board.
Pastor Kinser served as a Synod Convention Chaplain, and was chairman of many other Synodical committees. Pastor Kinser received the Roanoke College Medal on April 9, 1988 for his distinguishing service and contributions to the community. He is a noted woodcarver and artist. He and his wife Jeanne had two daughters; Rebecca and Mary Jean. All are alumni of Roanoke College.
William E. Kinser received the Roanoke College Medal in 1988.