All applications for external funding must go through the office of Academic Grants and Foundation Relations.
Roanoke College faculty members are encouraged to seek external funds for research and teaching-related projects. The grants--seeking process--from locating an appropriate funding source to constructing a budget, to submitting a proposal and managing awarded funds-can be time consuming and labor intensive. The Office of Academic Grants and Foundation Relations offers assistance in all parts of the process by:
- meeting with individual faculty members to learn about their research interests and funding needs
- maintaining a library of resource materials for locating funding and preparing proposals
- notifying individuals of grant opportunities pertinent to specific areas of research and interest
- assisting faculty in the preparation of competitive grant applications, by acting as liaison with funding agencies, providing editorial and budget assistance, reviewing for compliance with agency regulations and guidelines, securing authorizing signatures, typing, copying and mailing of applications
- publicizing awards and setting up accounting procedures
- providing information and application materials for both public and private funding agencies
- offering COS Funding Opportunities, a searchable database of grant sources
- maintaining files of faculty grant applications and related correspondence, and compiling statistics on faculty grant activity
- offering faculty workshops on proposal writing and funding opportunities
- preparing and submitting grant applications and proposals to private foundations and government agencies for new initiatives, curriculum revisions, scholarships, and other special college endeavors.