Charles Edward "Ted" Webber was born on January 17, 1900 in Salem Virginia and was a member of the Roanoke College class of 1922. A long-time Salem resident, Webber had a distinguished career as businessman, civic leader, sports enthusiast and family man. Ted served with the U.S. Army during World War I, later receiving the Selective Service Medal which was awarded in the name of the U.S. Congress for faithful and loyal service. At Roanoke, he was a member of the XI Chapter of the Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity. In 1969, Webber also received the Golden Legion Award for the Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity.
In the same year as his graduation from Roanoke, Ted earned his Registered Pharmacy from the State Board of Pharmacy. He owned and operated Webber's Pharmacy (now Brooks-Byrd) for 34 years, from 1925 to 1959. Ted was elected to the Board of Directors for the Farmers National Bank of Salem in 1932. With the bank, he served as vice president in 1941, as president from 1954-1965, and was chairman of the board for many years.
Webber directed, served, sponsored, or chaired more than 20 organizations, including the Kiwanis, the Chamber of Commerce, the Masons and First United Methodist Church. He was also a charter member of the American Legion Salem Post No. 19.
Ted was one of the founders of the West Central 4-H Center, "father" of Route 419, and Lt. Grand Commander of the Masons. He was presented the keys to the cities of Salem, Charlotte and Savannah. The Scottish Rite Temple in Roanoke and a park in South Salem are named in his honor. He was recognized as Father of the Year and Outstanding Citizen of the Year.
Charles E. Webber married Pauline Graham Webber on November 2, 1922. They had two children together; Charles E. Webber, Jr. and Jean Webber Payne. Even in his later years, he was still active both in the Salem community and in Roanoke College alumni events, and he continued to put his unique stamp on all he did.
Charles E. Webber received the Roanoke College Medal in 1987.