Not many alumni can say that they have personally met the last five presidents of Roanoke College, but Dr. Charles Tusing is pleased to share this fact about himself. Since graduating from Roanoke College in 1932 and the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1935, Dr. Tusing ahs given more than a half-century of service to the Virginia Synod, its churches and institutions, including Roanoke College.
Dr. Tusing's careers as a student and as a pastor are filled with diversity. While a student at Roanoke College, his many activities ranted from managing the baseball team (where he received monogram) and being assistant manager of the track team, to participating in the Glee Club, Classical Club, and Drama Club. He was a member of the Ciceronian Literary Society as well as the Xi Theta Chi Honor Society. For fifty-five years after graduating from Roanoke College, Dr. Tusing continued to take an active part in his alma mater by attending alumni chapter meetings and assisting with alumni phonathons. He is a member of the Roanoke College Associates, the Society of 1842, and Honor Guard.
His career with the Lutheran Church is extensive. After being ordained at Emmanuel Lutheran church in New Market, Virginia, on July 21, 1935, Dr. Tusing served as pastor in several Virginia parishes from 1935-1958. he was the first full-time salaried Synod secretary from 1958-1976, and he directed the Massanetta Summer Assembly from 1955-1976. He was director of the Synod's Home Mission Loan Fund Appeal, clerk and member of the Executive Council, and a trustee of Southern Seminary and of Virginia Lutheran Home. He collaborated in writing "A History of Christ Lutheran Church" and researched and approved materials for the publication Biographical Sketches of Lutheran Pastors in Virginia, 1820-1987. Dr. Tusing retied in 1976 after completing sixty-one years of service to the Lutheran Church. Even after "retirement," Dr. Tusing has served as a substitute pastor in Lutheran churches throughout the Virginia Synod.
In 1963, Dr. Tusing was awarded an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Roanoke College. He was also honored during the 1995 assembly of the Virginia Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in American.
He and his wife of over fifty-two years, Sue Frances Wilkinson Tusing were members of the Christ Lutheran Church. Tusing was involved in the development of Brandon Oaks, a Lutheran retirement community, and the Tusings have the distinction of being the first residents.
Charles G. Tusing received the Roanoke College Medal in 1997.