Lewis Harman Wessinger was a leading adverting executive in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, for more than 50 years. He attended Franklin and Marshall College prior to attending Roanoke College.
Soon after college, Mr. Wessinger began working at the Brecht-Pollard, Inc. Advertising Agency. The firm later became the Stelle-Wessinger-Foltz, Inc., of which he became the vice-president. In 1932, the agency became Foltz-Wessinger, Inc., and Mr. Wessinger rose to the position of president in 1936, a position he held until he retired in 1969.
Mr. Wessinger was very involved in business and community affairs. He served as president and director of the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce and Industry and was on the board of governors of the Philadelphia Council of the American Association of Advertising Agencies. Additionally, he was a member of the Easter Industrial Advertisers and Alpha Delta Sigma, a national advertising fraternity.
He also served on the board of directors of the Lancaster Osteopathic Hospital and was board chairman and director of the Lancaster Red Cross chapter.
Among other roles, Mr. Wessinger was president of the University Club of Lancaster; secretary and director of the Kiwanis Club of Lancaster; director of the Lancaster Sales Executive Club; director of the Lancaster Community Council; and chair of the publicity committee of the Community Chest Campaign.
Social memberships included the Hamilton Club and Kappa Alpha. He was a member the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Lancaster.
Mr. Wessinger received the Roanoke College Medal in 1978 for distinctive service and professional achievement.
Lews H. Wessinger received the Roanoke College Medal in 1978.