On-Campus Adventures Day
Join Outdoor Adventures for a fun-filled day of activities on the Back Quad!
Schedule of Events:
Yoga on the Quad* – 10:00-11:00am
- Join us for a beginner yoga flow outside. Bring your own mat!
Amazing Race Scavenger Hunt* – Ongoing from 10:00am-6:30pm
- Register with teams up to eight people as you travel throughout campus completing challenges at each waypoint. The winning team will receive an OA-themed prize. Please only register one participant; you will be contacted prior to the event for the names of other team members and to receive further information with instructions.
Slacklining – 1:00-6:00pm
Climbing Wall – 1:00-6:00pm
Survival Skills* – 2:00-3:00pm; 3:00-4:00pm; 4:00-5:00pm
- Learn various backcountry survival techniques including shelter building, fire building, basic navigation skills, and acquiring nutrition/hydration sources. Find out what everyday items could save your life on your next backcountry adventure when disaster strikes.
Practical Knot Tying* – 2:00-3:00pm; 3:00-4:00pm; 4:00-5:00pm
- This clinic's structure and content is based on needs of the participants. Learn useful knots that are practical for climbing as well as everyday use (dorm decorations, jewelry making, etc). Understand benefits and drawbacks of each type of knot learned.
Outdoor Olympics* – 3:00-4:00pm; 4:00-5:00pm
- Register with teams up to four people to complete non-traditional tasks with outdoor equipment such as sleeping bag relay race. The winning team for each time slot will receive a prize. Please only register one participant; you will be contacted prior to the event for the names of other team members.
Campfire & S’mores* – 6:30-8:30pm
*Participants must pre-register prior to event start time here.
Take a steep 4.5 mile hike to the Devil's Marbleyard, a natural 8-acre boulder field scaling the side of a mountain in the Jefferson National Forest. Explore and climb up three tiers of rocks and revel in the natural beauty and uniqueness of the area.
Take a long hike to the most photographed location on the Appalachian Trail! The top of McAfee's Knob rewards the hiker with a 270 degree view of the Roanoke Valley. This 8-mile out and back hike is one you can't miss. Intended for beginner to intermediate fitness levels as the hike is moderate.
Sawtooth Ridge Trail is a hidden gem in the Roanoke Valley. In this short and easy out-and-back ridge hike, you will arrive at two different overlooks and rock outcroppings with nice views of valley and mountains!
Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second-largest municipally owned park in the United States! The park contains over 45 miles of trails in the 12,463 acre property. Spend the day mountain biking in the crisp fall air with our experienced guides!
Learn how to cook meals in the backcountry that will make your friends think you’re a professional chef. We will teach participants recipes, nutritional needs dependent on activity, different types of stoves and fuel, and tips for creating a great menu for your next outdoor trip.
Learn basic biking skills, tips, and tricks while also becoming more familiar with parts of the bike.
Outdoor Gear Care & Repair
Learn basic care procedures for outdoor gear as well as standard field repairs including, but not limited to tents, sleeping bags, and stoves.
Kayak Skills & Roll
Join us in the pool to learn different strokes for paddling a kayak and how to maneuver a kayak. For the roll portion of the clinic, learn how to flip a kayak upright after flipping upside down in the water. No prior kayaking experience required.
Everyday Knot Tying
This clinic's structure and content is based on needs of the participants. Learn useful knots that are practical for climbing as well as everyday use. Understand benefits and drawbacks of each type of knot learned.
Leave No Trace Ethics
Learn the set of principles that guide the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics, a national organization that protects the outdoors by teaching and inspiring people to enjoy it responsibly. Leave No Trace offers relevant and accessible information for all people who spend time outside that can be implemented in every adventure.
Navigation & Orienteering
Learn basic navigation skills using a map and compass. Participants will become familiar with parts of the compass, how to read a topographic map, and how to shoot a bearing.
SUP Skills & Yoga
Join us in the pool to sharpen your stand-up paddleboard technique. Once confident on the craft, learn how to combine yoga sequences while balancing on the paddleboard.
Learn various backcountry survival techniques including shelter building, fire building, basic navigation skills, and acquiring nutrition/hydra
River Rock Climbing Lock-In
From the River Rock website: "Ever dreamed of having the entire facility to yourself? No lines, no waits? Just full of friends? You can climb, watch movies, and play games." Food will be provided at this event. Cost to students is $15/person.
Sunset and Full Moon Hike
Enjoy a peaceful 1-2 mile hike to the Mill Mountain Star where we will watch the sun set and the full moon rise.
Escape Room: Escape the Blue Ridge
Ready for a challenge? Crack codes and mysterious puzzles within the 30-minute window to escape from the OA Center. Sign up with friends (or by yourself) for a spot in one of the time slots. Cost is $2/person or $15/group for this nerve-racking blast of an experience.