FAQs and Forms


Please fill out and bring the following forms prior to the trip or pre-trip meeting. Forms can also be emailed to oa@roanoke.edu. Waivers and Medical Information Forms must be filled out each academic year. Trip Agreements must be signed every trip.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I find out about current Outdoor Adventures programming?

  • All of our trips, clinics, and special events are listed on our Activity Schedule with accompanying descriptions found here.
  • Follow us on Instagram at @roanokecollegeoutdoors or like our Facebook page at RC Campus Recreation Outdoors.
  • Check out our posters (print and digital) throughout campus.
  • Visit us in-person at the Outdoor Adventures Center, located in Bast 121. All staff at the Center are friendly and knowledgeable, and can even give you a personalized recommendation!

Who is able to go on trips?

Trips are open only to Roanoke College students unless otherwise explicitly stated and advertised.

Please review our Essential Eligibility Requirements for universal and activity specific requirements to ensure you are able to participate fully and safely in our programming. The Outdoor Adventures program is committed to making reasonable modifications to any trip or activity for any persons with a disability, so long as they do not fundamentally alter the nature of the trip or activity. All programs operate under the framework of challenge by choice, meaning if you register for a trip or activity and decide to not partake in certain elements, it may be feasible to spectate. Please inquire if you wish to attend a trip in a more passive role.

How do I sign up for a trip?

Why do certain trips cost money? What is included in the trip price?

All trips (even the free ones) include equipment, applicable permitting/admission, transportation, and instruction. This is all possible because the Outdoor Adventures program is heavily subsidized through your Student Activity Fee. Trips that have a monetary cost for participants are those which fall into one or more of the following categories: trips which have a higher entrance fee than can be subsidized entirely (such as our ski and snowboard trips), trips that require advanced equipment and specialized instruction (such as our outdoor rock climbing or whitewater kayaking trips), or trips in which Outdoor Adventures provides meals (see trip description for applicable trips).

How do I pay for a trip?

  • In-Person at the Campus Rec Office (Bast 220): Monday-Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm
  • In-Person at the OA Center: Monday-Thursday from 3:00pm-8:00pm; Friday from 3:00pm-5:30pm
  • Over-the-Phone at 540-375-5205: Monday-Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm

Why do certain trips require a pre-trip meeting?

For trips where there is a higher level of inherent risk, extended trips, or trips that require specialized skills, a pre-trip meeting is required. In these meetings, critical information will be reviewed and discussed such as itinerary, logistics, and risk disclosure. These meetings assist the program in reducing negative risk as well as ensure the participants are well informed and adequately prepared.  You must attend the pre-trip meeting or you will not be allowed to participate in the scheduled trip. If you cannot make the scheduled pre-trip meeting, it is your responsibility to contact Outdoor Adventures as soon as possible.