Health and Human Performance Department
- Athletic Training prepares students for certification and focuses on injury prevention, treatment, rehabilitation and the evaluation of athletic injuries. Athletic trainers are well-prepared to work with athletes at any level.
- Health and Exercise Science provides students with a solid understanding of human physiology, human movement and the role exercise plays in human health. Students interested in exercise physiology, sport performance, health and wellness and movement science often find this program to be the best preparation for graduate work.
- Health and Physical Education is a popular major for students who wish to teach and coach at the elementary, middle or high school level. Students completing this program are eligible for Virginia's licensure in teaching for PreK- 12 health and physical education.
- Sport Management majors are prepared to be leaders in a variety of roles in the business of sports. They learn the administrative aspects of sports, including managing facilities, personnel, budgets and the like.
Roanoke has top-notch facilities including an athletic training room, a health and human performance lab that has a metabolic cart, a two-dimensional video analysis system and a force plate.
Faculty members in the HHP department hold Ph.D's from such prestigious institutions as Florida State University, Penn State and Virginia Tech. Their specific areas of expertise include pedagogy, physiology and motor behavior, mental toughness and psychological training, overtraining and the prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries.
- Internships - All majors in the department are required to complete an internship or independent study. Many HHP students complete internships with local companies or organizations as a way to gain experience with the fields in which they want to work. The department handles all internship placements ensuring quality experiences for each.
- Other opportunities -Other opportunities include independent study projects, intensive learning term in May, Summer Scholars, joint dissection, etc.