At Roanoke students have the opportunity to design and conduct experiments firsthand. Students planning to pursue graduate and doctoral studies in psychology are strongly encouraged to participate in additional research opportunities.
Ways to Get Involved in Research
- Applied Methods - Junior/Senior-level courses in which students carry out research in small groups.
- Research Experience - a 1/4 credit course in which students assist faculty in their research.
- Research Practicum - a 1 credit course in which students assist faculty in their research.
- Independent Study (empirical) - a 1 credit course in which students conduct their own empirical study under the direction of a faculty mentor.
- Independent Study (literature review) - a 1 credit course in which students conduct their literature review under the direction of a faculty mentor.
- Honors in the Major - a 1 credit course in which students conduct their own empirical study under the direction of a faculty mentor. The results of this research are presented to a a committee during an honors defense.
- Summer Scholar - qualified students receive tuition, housing, and $2,500 to conduct research with a faculty mentor over the summer.
- Work Study - eligible students receive an hourly wage assisting a faculty member with their research.
Research in the Psychology Department
- Faculty Research Interests
- Recent Student Publications & Conference Presentations
- Sign up for Research Studies
Research Resources and Opportunities
- Application to use Independent Study for the IL (May Term) requirement
- Salem VA Medical Center Research Experiences
- RC Office of Student-Faculty Research
- Pathways Program
- Dean's Travel Fund for Students presenting at Conferences
- SONA Experiment Management System
- Institutional Review Board
- Citi Program Human Subjects Ethical Certification
- Roanoke College Library Search
- Conducting Research Materials
- Links to Undergraduate Journals
- Links to Undergraduate Conferences
- Council on Undergraduate Research