Present Your Research (Travel)
On-Campus Presentation Opportunities
The RC Research and Creative Works Showcase is usually held on Family Weekend (late September/early October) in the Fall Semester and during Alumni Weekend (April) in the Spring Semester. Students present their scholarship through poster and oral presentations. The link for registration is sent via email to the RC community.
Off-Campus Presentation Opportunities
Dean's Travel Fund
We provide financial support for students to present their research at regional, national, and international conferences. Students are eligible to apply for up to $500 from the Dean's Travel Fund to offset their travel costs. To apply, submit the Dean's Travel Fund Application to email@example.com.
Steps to Present Your Research at an Off-Campus Conference
Before submitting an abstract to a conference
1. Identify a conference and check deadlines; discuss attending with your faculty mentor
After submitting an abstract to a conference but before you are accepted
2. Submit the Dean's Travel Fund application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. The form should be submitted at least 4 weeks prior to the conference.
3. Find additional funding from other sources (e.g., department chair, concentration coordinator, faculty mentor, mom and dad)
4. Receive email approval from the Director of Undergraduate Research.
After being accepted to the conference but before going
6. Register for the conference (print receipt)
7. Reserve a room (print confirmation)
8. Make travel plans (if flying, book flight and print receipt)
During your trip
9. Keep all itemized receipts.
Note: An itemized receipt includes everything you purchased. For example, at a restaurant, the itemized receipt includes all of the food and drinks you purchased. Keep any credit card signature slips and write down tips that you paid.
10. Be sure to take pictures during the conference, including one of you presenting, and post them to social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) with the hashtag #RCResearch
11. Ask for a printout of your hotel bill upon checkout.
After you return
14. Complete the top half of the "Travel - Expense Report" form (everything above and including Total Expenses) and complete the "Requested by" line in that form.
15. Return the expense report and all receipts to the Director of Undergraduate Research
16. Respond to interview requests from the RC Research blogger who will write a blog post about your trip for rcresearch.org. You will provide a picture to the blogger.
The Fine Print: ·
- $500 per student per year is the maximum funding available from the Director of Undergraduate Research for students presenting at conferences. We support up to $75 for a student attending a conference but not presenting. Search for additional funding from other sources to cover the rest of the cost of your trip.
- We use a reimbursement system. This means that you must spend the money first and then be reimbursed.
- If you do not have a credit card or do not want to use yours, your faculty advisor can pay and be reimbursed for your expenditures.
- The Office of Undergraduate Research does have a Roanoke College credit card that can be used for airfare or conference registration. However, you may not spend above the approved amount.
- Unfortunately, we cannot give you a travel advance.
- Please direct all questions about this procedure to email@example.com.