The Copenhaver Institute
Toward the goal of developing lifelong readers and learners, MSCI will focus on:
- Knowing the student
- Nurturing intrinsic curiosity and motivation
- Engaging imagination through reading
- Empowering inventive problem solving and critical thinking strategies
- Fostering creative self-expression
- Developing instruction built on student readiness, interests and learning profiles
- Balancing group and individual needs
- Exploring evidence-based practices
- Scaffolding to facilitate student growth
The Margaret Sue Copenhaver Institute for Teaching and Learning provides quality professional development opportunities for PreK-12 teachers and administrators and for Roanoke College students. The Institute's emphases include:
- Consideration of cutting-edge perspectives relevant to the teaching profession;
- Determination of personal and practical ways to engage students as lifelong learners; and
- Examination of a variety of multimedia and instructional technology strategies and tools for enhancing students' growth as learners.
The Institute gives PreK-12 teachers the opportunity to develop and practice strategies for effective instruction in cooperation with the nation's leading educational scholars.