The Copenhaver Institute
Deeper Reading, Deeper Thinking, Deeper Learning
June 17-19, 2019
2019 Copenhaver Institute is full!
2019 Session Proposal Link has now closed. Notification of session acceptance will be emailed in April 2019.
Kelly Gallagher and Penny Kittle
Toward the goal of developing lifelong readers and learners, MSCI will focus on:
- Knowing the student
- Nurturing intrinsic curiosity and motivation
- Engaging imagination through reading
- Empowering inventive problem solving and critical thinking strategies
- Fostering creative self-expression
- Developing instruction built on student readiness, interests and learning profiles
- Balancing group and individual needs
- Exploring evidence-based practices
- Scaffolding to facilitate student growth
The Margaret Sue Copenhaver Institute for Teaching and Learning provides quality professional development opportunities for PreK-12 teachers and administrators and for Roanoke College students. The Institute's emphases include:
- Consideration of cutting-edge perspectives relevant to the teaching profession;
- Determination of personal and practical ways to engage students as lifelong learners; and
- Examination of a variety of multimedia and instructional technology strategies and tools for enhancing students' growth as learners.
The Institute gives PreK-12 teachers the opportunity to develop and practice strategies for effective instruction in cooperation with the nation's leading educational scholars.