The Copenhaver Institute
Toward the goal of developing lifelong readers and learners, MSCI will focus on:
- Building classroom environments that engage students as responsible global citizens who have the competencies to affect positive change
- Creating inclusive, adaptive schools that ensure all students thrive
- Equipping students with skills and dispositions for a rapidly changing world
- Fostering empathy within the school curriculum and culture
- Exploring evidence-based practices
- Knowing the student
- Nurturing intrinsic motivation
The Margaret Sue Copenhaver Institute for Teaching and Learning provides quality professional development opportunities for PreK-12 teachers and administrators and for Roanoke College students. The Institute's emphases include:
- Consideration of cutting-edge perspectives relevant to the teaching profession;
- Determination of personal and practical ways to engage students as lifelong learners; and
- Examination of a variety of multimedia and instructional technology strategies and tools for enhancing students' growth as learners.
The Institute gives PreK-12 teachers the opportunity to develop and practice strategies for effective instruction in cooperation with the nation's leading educational scholars.