The mission of the French program is to develop Roanoke College students’ linguistic and cultural skills, help students apply those skills in professional life and the community, and to foster a life-long commitment to learning in a globalized society. Specifically, the French program aims to help students:
- Advance proficiency and accuracy in speaking, reading, writing, and understanding the French language.
- Apply French language skills to their chosen professional career.
- Demonstrate interpretative, analytical and critical thinking skills with respect to cultural, literary, and linguistic manifestations from the French-speaking world.
- Identify and value traits of linguistic variation between the different variants of French.
- Understand the history, the impact, and the role of French in the United States.
- Explore and evaluate cultural identity in relation to others in a global community.