Winter Break 2022-2023
Winter Break Information
- For Winter Break, all residence halls (except Afton, Chalmers, and Elizabeth Halls) will close at noon on Saturday, December 17th and will reopen at noon on Sunday, January 15th at noon for sophomores, juniors and seniors. Freshmen will return on Friday, January 13th at noon.
- Students must vacate their rooms 24 hours after their last final, or, if their last final is on Friday, December 16th, by noon on Saturday, December 17th.
Requesting to Stay over Winter Break
- Residents may request to stay for all or part of Winter Break with the exception of December 23rd through January 3rd, when the College will be closed. All residents are required to vacate their rooms by noon on December 23rd and are not allowed back into their rooms until noon on January 3, 2023.
- In order to remain during break, residents must submit a Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods Form, by 4:30pm on Wednesday, December 7th.
- No requests will be considered after the form closes.
If the request is for a College-sponsored event such as a sport, activity, or campus job, residents may request to stay over break at no charge.
If the request to stay is for a reason other than a College-sponsored event, the resident may request to stay at a rate of $35 per night. This will be added to the resident's student account.
Residents of Afton, Chalmers, and Elizabeth Halls must still submit a Request to Stay on Campus During Closed Periods Form, though there will be no additional cost to stay over break.
Winter Break Procedures for Residents
Residents are asked to prepare their rooms for Winter Break before leaving. This includes:
- close and lock all windows
- lower blinds
- unplug all electrical sources (except fish tanks)
- turn off faucets
- unplug and defrost personal refrigerators (leave door open)
- empty trash
- turn off alarm clocks
- turn down heat, turn off wall unit, or lower thermostat to 62 degrees (options vary by building)
- close and lock the door
- sign Winter Break Closing sheet on your door
A Residence Life & Housing staff member will check rooms for proper closing preparations to ensure the safety and security of the room over the long break. Residents are responsible for any violations discovered during closing procedures or for failure to follow closing procedures.
Additionally, residents who reside in a room with an open vacancy are required to prepare their rooms in case they receive a new roommate for the next semester.
Frequently Asked Questions about Winter Break
Why do students have to pay to stay for Winter Break?
The amount calculated for housing costs only covers the amount of nights that students are determined to be in their rooms in the school year. The additional cost of $35 per night allows the Residence Life & Housing staff to hire additional students to work over the break to ensure the safety of our residents.
Will the Residence Life & Housing office be open over Winter Break?
The Residence Life & Housing office will be open from 8:00am - 4:30pm on weekdays, except for times the College is closed.
Why do Afton, Chalmers, and Elizabeth Halls remain open when others are not?
Afton and Elizabeth Halls are more self-sustaining areas, as they have private kitchens and require less staffing to supervise and are better able to run independently. Chalmers Hall remains open because it houses many international students who cannot return home for Winter Break.
- What if I want to stay for a few days, then leave, and come back early? Can I do that?
Yes, please specify this when submitting your form.
- What if there is an emergency? Will there be staff available?
Except for the time the College is closed, limited Residence Life & Housing staff will be available. If there is an emergency, residents are urged to call Campus Safety at 540-375-2310 or 911.
- Will the Commons be open during break?
Commons is not open during break.