Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to make an appointment to be seen at Health Services?

We encourage you to make an appointment to ensure as little waiting as possible.  We are able to see most students within 24 hours, although you may have to schedule further in advance for women's health exams, sports physicals and other specialized services.  We do our best to work in students who have an urgent medical situation, but it is best to call ahead to minimize delays.  You can make an appointment or get advice by calling the office at 540-375-2286.

How much does it cost to be seen by Health and Counseling Services?

There is no cost for office visits for students.  There is a charge for lab tests, injections, certain procedures and special examinations, but the cost is generally substantially less than elsewhere. 

Do you have 'real doctors' and nurse practitioners?

Yes, Health Services has licensed physicians, physicians assistants and family nurse practitioners.

There is a Health Services hold on my account.  What should I do?

The hold is probably due to an incomplete health record.  Contact Health and Counseling Services to determine what you are missing.

I graduated a few years ago.  How do I get a copy of my shot record?

Email a request to and include your full name, date of birth, Roanoke College Student ID ( if known), year of graduation and details of what is needed (ie: immunization history, health records, ect).  Please include a phone number where you can be reached and if records are to be faxed, be sure to include a fax number.

Can I get required immunizations at Roanoke College?

Yes, most immunizations are available for a fee.  Contact us to make an appointment or click here to use the web portal.

I missed class and now my professor says I need a note.  Can Health and Counseling Services help me?

We do not provide written notes for students who miss class because of illness or injury.  It is the responsibility of the student to communicate with faculty regarding absences.  Professors have their own policies governing class attendance.  With the students' permission, we will provide information to professors regarding student visits.

Can I be tested for STI's (Sexually Transmitted Disease and Infections)?

Yes, we offer testing for a variety of STI's for both women and men.

Do you offer birth control services?

Yes, we provide a full array of contraceptive options and we will help you explore what birth control method will best meet your needs.  Free condoms are available in the self-care area in the waiting room.  Plan B (Emergency Contraception) is also available in Health Services as well as over-the-counter at most pharmacies.

Can I count on my health record information remaining private?

Yes, all information in your record is confidential.  Access to information contained in your file is limited to you, the patient, and Health Services personnel, unless you give written permission to release it, except by court order.

I'm on medicine for ADD.  Can I get it refilled at Health and Counseling Services?

Yes.  You must submit a recent medical summary form from the primary prescribing physician stating the name and dosage of the medication along with the diagnosis.  You will be asked to sign and adhere to our Controlled Drug Policy and complete a brief monthly visit with the nurse.