Below is a note sent to students prior to the first phase of move-in for the spring 2022 semester:
I hope you are relaxing and enjoying the last days of your holiday break. We appreciate everyone making the necessary adjustments for the phased return to campus. It is our sincere hope that these measures will help the College have a strong opening, and have us all back on campus and in-person soon. Meanwhile, we have a few reminders for you regarding your return to campus.
- A reminder of the requirement to provide a negative COVID-19 test taken within 48 hours of your return to campus. Any type of test is accepted. If you cannot find testing in your area, we will test students upon arrival, before access to the residence halls is granted. If a student tests positive before arriving on campus, they should remain at home and contact Student Health Services. If a student tests positive after arriving to campus, they may not be allowed to enter their Residence Hall and may be moved to a designated isolation space.
- Upgrade your masks. You'll definitely need your masks, and the College is recommending everyone upgrade to KN95 or N95 masks if possible. Wear the best mask you have.
- All returning students (residents and commuter students) have an online academic check-in to complete by Thursday, Jan. 20.
- Classes begin virtually Tuesday, Jan. 18 for everyone.
- In-person classes resume on Monday, Jan. 31.
- Some events may need to be altered during the next few weeks. We’re evaluating events on a case-by-case basis to determine if adjustments or changes are needed.
- Watch for COVID-19 vaccine and booster clinics to be scheduled once everyone is back on campus.
Roanoke College does have isolation and quarantine spaces available if needed. Students can also choose to go home to complete isolation or quarantine. Those who live within 250 miles or so of the College may be asked to isolate or quarantine at home if the dedicated spaces on campus are filling up. Contingency plans have been created to include additional on and off campus housing for isolation and/or quarantine.
By now, all students have been contacted by Residence Life with information and instructions for their specific move-in dates. Students will move in only on the weekends, Jan. 15-16 or Jan. 22-23. No move-ins are approved during the week.
The last item to bring to your attention is a winter storm warning for our region of Virginia on Sunday, Jan. 16. For those who are moving in the weekend of Jan. 15-16, take note of the storm forecast and adjust plans accordingly. Those who are scheduled to move in on Sunday, Jan. 16 may move in on Saturday, Jan. 15 or the following weekend, Jan. 22-23. Contact Residence Life to make arrangements and adjust your move-in date. For those who must arrive on Jan. 16, the residence hall check-in has been moved to the Residence Life office rather than the lower Olin parking lot due to the expected snow.
I wish you all safe travels to campus in the coming days or weeks and look forward to seeing you all on campus again very soon.
Dean of Students