Dear Maroons -
We have less than three weeks until the end of the semester. I know we can do this safely! I also know you are looking forward to the upcoming break and well-deserved time off. Please keep doing your part to stay safe — especially prior to upcoming exam season and your travel home. You have done a great job so far, and I thank you.
This election week has been one for the record books, and next Monday there is a Henry H. Fowler Distinguished Public Speaker event featuring political analysts, A.B. Stoddard and Chris Stirewalt who will discuss the 2020 election. The discussion will take place via Zoom. Please register to participate.
On the following evening, Tuesday, Nov. 10, the Roanoke College community will have the rare opportunity to attend a conversation with U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor. Don’t miss this occasion. Registration is required and space is limited to Roanoke College students, faculty, staff, retirees and alumni.
Regarding COVID-19, today, Nov. 6, the College has one active case. I am pleased that the number of cases remains low. Thank you for doing your part.
I remind you to remain cautious when traveling off campus. Over the next few weeks, focus on your studies, final projects and exams, and spend time on our beautiful campus. It’s important to stay safe prior to traveling for break.
Testing Before Returning Home
Many of you have asked if COVID-19 testing will be available prior to your return home. I appreciate that so many of you are considering those who are more vulnerable or at-risk in your households. The Student Health and Counseling Center is set up to test all students, faculty and staff who are interested in being tested prior to the upcoming break.
- Testing is voluntary and available in the Student Health Center weekly through Nov. 20, 2020.
- Testing is available every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10 to 11 a.m. and every Wednesday from 2 to 4 p.m.
- On Nov. 19 and 20, testing hours will be extended to 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- No appointment is needed.
- Be sure to allow a few days for test results before you travel home.
- Flu shots are also available on Monday, Nov. 9 at the Health Center from 2-6 p.m. You can sign up here or call 540-375-2286 to make an appointment.
“Over the next few weeks, focus on your studies, final projects and exams, and spend time on our beautiful campus. It’s important to stay safe prior to traveling for break.”
President Mike Maxey
Other Important Reminders
- Students must fill out this form by 4 p.m today for ResLife regarding Spring 2021.
- Residence halls will close Wed. Nov. 25 at 10 a.m.
Again, I ask everyone to please consider staying close to campus over these next three weeks. Be as safe as possible, use masks, and avoid large groups before you return home.
As always, you may visit roanoke.edu/healthycampus for answers to questions you may have. You will find a dashboard on our website, roanoke.edu/covid19, where we report Roanoke College COVID-19 cases on a weekly basis. Questions may also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or you may leave a voicemail with your question by calling (540) 375-2244.
Thank you for caring for each other and enjoy the weekend.
Be well Maroons,
President Mike Maxey