Information Technology Fellows
As an Information Technology Fellow, you will work with a team of dedicated and like-minded students and Fellows to improve your skills and support the Information Technology needs of the college.
Training and Mentoring
In your first year as an Information Technology Fellow, you will work closely with staff and student team leaders in various training programs. You will learn the basics of their roles, beginning with a formal week of training before school starts.
Once proficient as a Fellow, you will become a team member, and will work independently while continuing to refine and grow in both knowledge and skills. You will be encouraged to research training opportunities that would benefit your job in a chosen technology-related career path.
Each of the major technology areas have a Team Leader that represents a culmination of skills. As a Team Leader, you would have an opportunity to help supervise and lead a team, working hand-in-hand with staff to set the direction of their area. You would also be eligible to participate in a formal college internship focused on an IT-related project for official college credit.
Information Technology Fellows can participate in the following areas:
Computer Field Technician
- Maintain computer labs on campus
- Repair student-owned computers
- Troubleshoot faculty and staff computers
- Troubleshoot network-related issues, printer problems, etc.
- Develop, maintain and deploy web-based applications
- Develop in PHP web scripting language
Support Desk (Helpdesk)
- Computer-related support for faculty, staff, students and alumni
- Customer service via phone, email, and face-to-face
Media Classroom Support
- Support students and faculty that wish to use AV equipment for class-related functions
- Troubleshoot and repair AV equipment problems within classrooms
- Set up equipment for PowerPoint presentations
- Provide AV support for conferences
- Work closely with Educational Technology Consulting staff on projects
Educational Technology Support
- Support faculty, students and staff through video editing and photography projects
- Filming college events
- Provide assistance within classroom technologies
- Convert videos for use on Blackboard or YouTube
- Create videos for conferences and presentations
- Operate the college's TV studio
Ideal candidates for the Information Technology Fellows Program have qualities that include:
- Strong interest in information technology
- Self-motivated / self-starter
- Ability to work individually or as a team
- Strong customer service skills
- Dependable and reliable
- Willing to take on challenging tasks
Applying to the program begins with an online application, including the following essay questions (there is a 2-paragraph limit for each question):
- Reflect on an event where technology had an impact on your life.
- Briefly discuss the areas of technology that interest you the most.
If you are chosen as a finalist, you will interview with professors and mentors during a campus visit and receive a $1,000 scholarship per year. If you are chosen as a Fellow, you will also receive an on-campus work opportunity to earn an hourly wage that could be worth up to $1,000 a semester.
Multiple fellowships will be awarded in each area of interest.
Roanoke College provides cutting-edge technology to support and enhance living, learning, teaching, research, innovation, scholarship, productivity, business and data management.