Course Proposals and Syllabi
For students: How to Read a Syllabus
Course Proposal Resources
The button to submit a proposal is at the very bottom of this page. The rest of this page includes materials you need to prepare a proposal.
Curriculum Committee and General Education Committee Deadlines
20 Sept: Proposals for courses to be taught first in Spring Term. INQ & HNRS to GEC. All others to CC
15 Nov: Proposals for changes to majors/minors/concentrations to be effective in fall. All to CC
20 Jan: Proposals for courses to be taught first in Fall Term or May Term (16 months later). INQ, HNRS, and May to GEC. All others to CC.
Course Proposal Resources
Disciplinary Courses to Curriculum Committee
Requests to General Education Committee
Global Designation for an existing course: Global Designation Form
IL/May Term: May Term/IL Course Form
COURSE FORMS & GUIDELINES
INQ 120: INQ 120 Form and Guidelines
Submitting a Course Proposal
- If proposing an INQ or HNRS course, get the list of requirements and assessment from the appropriate Guidelines document above. If proposing a departmental course, review program-level learning outcomes. Discuss how the new course will fit into the program with other department members.
- Set the course-level learning outcomes. Develop content, activities, and assignments. Write the syllabus. Be sure to include everything on the list of required syllabus (see link above). Your syllabus should contain enough details of topics, readings, activities, and assignments to demonstrate the overall progression and coherence of the course.
- In conversation with your department chair (or the relevant program chair), complete the course proposal form. (Links are above) Modify the syllabus if appropriate. Pay close attention to the CC and GEC course guidelines in the table above.
- Use the link below to submit your proposal. Your submission will be automatically routed to the correct committee. You will be prompted to upload the completed proposal form and syllabus.
- Once submitted, your proposal is sent electronically to your department chair for approval. In addition, INQ proposals are approved by General Education Director, and HNRS proposals are approved by the Honors Director. You will receive automated email notifications of their approval and any changes they make to your uploaded documents.
- The appropriate committee will then review your proposal. The chair of CC or GEC will contact you with comments on the course. Expect to get comments and some requests for changes. Nearly all proposals require at least one round of revisions.
- Please respond to CC/GEC requests for revision or information as soon as possible so that your course can be approved in a timely manner. Courses to be taught in the spring must be approved by the November faculty meeting. Courses to be taught in the fall semester must be approved by the April faculty meeting.