The Roanoke College Pathways program seeks to improve student learning by enhancing the quality of experiential learning opportunities available to our students. The three essential elements of these quality enhancements are: Preparation and Planning, Ongoing Guided Reflection, and Post-Experience Public Showcasing. Under this program, students will be guided through the stages of planning a project, prompted to reflect critically throughout the process, and articulate their learning through a public showcasing of their work and final reflection paper. Though not required, it is anticipated that these experiences will be awarded to students in their junior/senior year as this serves as a culminating experience within their major.
Award: $400 stipend for the faculty mentor and up to $500 for expenses related to the project/experience.
To receive Pathways support for an artistic/creative project, faculty must:
- Provide excellent mentorship to the student.
- Help your student develop learning goals associated with the project.
- Provide the framework and support for your student's ongoing guided reflection. That is, develop reflection prompts and provide feedback on your student's reflections. This can be done orally during regular meetings or through writing as part of a journaling process.
- Guide your students through the final reflection process leading to a final reflection paper.
- Guide your student in the development of a culminating presentation/performance/exhibit.
To apply for Pathways support, please complete this application form by August 14th for a course/project in the Fall semester (or for full-year projects) or January 6th for a course or project in the Spring semester.
Faculty who receive an award are required to turn in the following documents:
- A list of learning goals your student develops as part of the planning phase of this project.
- A short list of reflection prompts you plan to use to help guide your student's reflections.
- An electronic copy of your student's final reflection paper in Word or PDF (not scanned PDFs).
- An evaluation form at the end of the semester (form will be provided).
Detailed descriptions of each required element of a Pathways project can be found in the Pathways-Artistic-Creative document.
Have questions? Please contact:
Dr. Travis Carter
Director of Experiential Learning