As a Leadership Fellow, you will be part of a team of highly motivated students working toward building and identifying your own leadership style. You will participate in leadership training, plan and facilitate service projects and create other campus programs/initiatives. You will grow toward:
- Becoming an active and involved student leader
- Becoming a responsible and ethical actor, aware of your impact on the community and the world
- Understanding of differences, and the ability to find commonalities of purpose and work collaboratively across difference
Leadership Fellows are required to attend regular weekly meetings throughout the semester that cover key foundational concepts in community engagement, including:
- Leadership development
- Community development
- Authenticity with leadership
- Team building
- Organizational leadership
- Using leadership to institute change
As a Fellow, you will develop your own leadership style while identifying your strengths. After the first year you will be partnered with a peer to mentor them on their leadership dynamics. Third and fourth year fellows will be eligible for internship credit. Leadership fellows will also have the opportunity to bring new leadership themed initiatives for their peers to participate in.
Fellows who have developed key leadership competencies are called upon to facilitate the leadership development of their successors by co-facilitating foundational training and serving as peer mentors.
Ideal candidates for the Leader Fellows Program have qualities that include:
- Commitment to leadership theories and organizational dynamics
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and skills
- Creative thinking
- Enthusiasm to start new projects
- Adaptability and flexibility
Applying to the program begins with an online application, including this essay question: Please write a short essay on how you define leadership and what you believe are essential traits for being a strong and effective leader."
Students selected as finalists will interview with college staff and student mentors during a campus visit, as well as receive a $500 scholarship per academic year. As a Fellow, you will also have the opportunity to live in the Leadership House. In this residential community, students will learn different styles of leadership and attend hall events focused on themes of team-building, communication, mentorship, and service.